Otaku Anime Movie Night Out, 8/14/2009 - Ponyo (Miyazaki)

Seems we've been doing a lot of this recently. Here's a place for it

Otaku Anime Movie Night Out, 8/14/2009 - Ponyo (Miyazaki)

Postby JayRandom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:13 am

So~, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, Miyazaki's latest film, looks like it will be screening in theaters starting on August 14th. Anybody interested in having an Otaku Night Out like we did for L Change The WorLd?

(I forgot about it before announcements tonight. T_T )
Last edited by JayRandom on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Jon
JayRandom
Hiss! The light, it burns!

Postby sabokappa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:07 am

hm... i heard of it.. they've been advertising it like crazy on YesAsia and CDJapan for the past couple of monthes..

That'd be a good idea! ^^ .. even though i don't really watch movies.. it seems like i'd wanna watch it.
<it makes me think of the "little mermaid" lol, except it's a jellyfish girl who wants to be human! XD)

..oh.. randomly.. i named my Floatzel "Sousuke" ... :lol:

EDIT: OMG!!!!!!!! XD XD XD XD.. and i just stumbled across this..

Yeah!! we gotta watch this!!! Guess who thinks it's a cute movie!? @^^@

http://kiyoharu.syncl.jp/?p=diary&di=164824

...(///∇//)♡ yup.. i goin'
「何 出来る かな? 何 出来る かな?」
~る かな..? HAND ELEPHANTS. >w<
sabokappa
some sort of scary god

Postby JayRandom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:57 am

Update:

The Livonia 20 still has not posted their schedule for 8/14, so unfortunately, I can't announce a showtime (or meeting time) just yet. Bah!

If it's scheduled anything like the screening of "L Change the WorLd" was, there will be only one showtime. If there's more than one, let's aim for the one that's somewhere between 7 and 9 (closer to 7, if possible)

Watch this space (or the front page) for further updates.
-- Jon
JayRandom

Postby sabokappa » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:34 am

Me's and Kelly are goin' to the zoo that day!!!! Yays! ^w^

eh...to.... i kinda forgot about the movie. ^^;;;

Well, we might still be goin'? heh heh :? i don't know...

I'm thinking though that this movie will be played more than just that one night... i mean, i saw commercials for it, and it seems like it's gonna be intended as a "normal" movie, i guess...
「何 出来る かな? 何 出来る かな?」
sabokappa
some sort of scary god

Postby JayRandom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Everything I've seen says it's a one-night only thing. Though I could very well be wrong.

Also, don't most Zoos close at, like, 5pm? Though I guess you might be tired afterward...
-- Jon
JayRandom

Postby JayRandom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:05 pm

...never mind. It's apparently screening all weekend at another theater. I wonder why I thought it was one night only? Maybe I was remembering the Eureka 7 film, which is definitely only one night. x_x;;;
-- Jon
JayRandom

Postby sabokappa » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:36 pm

Yeah yeah yeah! ^^

lol, exactly. Zoos close at 5pm, so definitely it's not a time issue..
It's just since i really don't do anything at all, going to the zoo THEN the movie is more than plenty activity for me for one day! I get tired from just leaving my house pretty much..^^;;;;

...We might still go to the movie though, and perhaps reschedule the zoo. but yeah, the zoo is AWESOME!! ^w^ (just not the monkeys :shock: )
But.. the movie sounds awesome too! :D
「何 出来る かな? 何 出来る かな?」
sabokappa
some sort of scary god

Postby Kincyr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:46 pm

the only thing is that the showings are for the English dub and the cast Disney picked are subpar. This time, they prefered to use younger siblings of overrated people like Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers as opposed to people with any talent. unlike Spirited Away, the voicework I've seen from the trailers are not very good
岩「おやすみ、大きな玉。」
Kincyr
♫ I am a lovely bunch of coconuts ♫

Postby sabokappa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:43 pm

oh god.. i totally forgot about dubbing... o_o uh oh... i'm worried..

and with the "voice actors" you mentioned Craig doesn't at all help the situation.. >_>;;;
「何 出来る かな? 何 出来る かな?」
sabokappa
some sort of scary god

Postby JayRandom » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:37 am

Showing times are up! We'll be attending the 7:20. Barring any protests, I guess.

I've actually read /good/ things about the dub, weirdly enough. I'm a little bit indifferent myself; I prefer subs as much for the feel (or, well, sound) of them as the acting quality, and so /any/ dub is a bit of a disappointment. But it's as much the story that I'm interested in as the sound, and I want to support the theatrical release.

(Actually, I've also heard that the story /isn't/ as good as, say, Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, or at least that it's much less complex and more fanciful. Which I'm interested to see, all the same.)
-- Jon
JayRandom

Postby thelaughingfool » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 pm

It's intresting to see that Miyazaki wo once was able to combine the childish elements of fairytales and the gripping elements of woven dramas. Things like Nausicaä and Mononoke I actually wouldn't recomend for kids. The images of Nausicaä weilding an anti-tank rifle and Mononoke spitting out wolf blood seemed too intense for a younger audience. When Spirited Away came out, I thought it was going to be a one shot phase that Miyazaki was going through. Then Howl's Moving Caslte and now this, it's almost like Miyazaki is somehow giving up on certien things that make him unique. Don't get me wrong. I have yet to see a Miyazaki film I don't like, but with Mamoru Hosoda doing things like Summer Wars, it's starting to look like he should bow out gracefully.

Also, with the voice acting: It's a well documented fact that Disney hates Miyazaki. So I guess they figured to give some exposer to these star siblings figuring no one would show up for it anyway.
I'm just a love machine.
thelaughingfool
Crazy like a Bi-Polar Fox

Location: Where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer

Postby sabokappa » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:15 pm

You got an interesting point Sean... Didn't Miyazaki also like, do this movie called "kiki's delivery service"?? (sendai kamotsu are delivery gits!)

.. actually, i never saw any miyazaki movies ^^;;;
...so i bet ya'll are surprised.. especially being i go to otaku, a club for anime admirers etc.. etc...

Sean, I also find your idea (conspiracy theory??) about the voice acting very intriguing.. it really wouldn't surprise me! the only good thing from disney was lilo and stitch!... ^w^
「何 出来る かな? 何 出来る かな?」
sabokappa
some sort of scary god

Postby Kincyr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:38 pm

speaking of Kiki's Delivery Service, Peter Payne mentioned in J-List's latest newsletter that the English subtitles provided by Disney weren't entirely accurate
Peter Payne wrote:as the movie progressed I noticed something interesting: the subtitles didn't match the Japanese dialogue of the film very closely. They included quite a few lines by Kiki and her black cat Jiji which didn't exist in the original, and I eventually figured out that they had been transcribed from the English dub of the movie and not translated directly from Japanese. It was immediately apparent that, whoever the producers of the English version were (*cough* Disney *cough*), they didn't rate their viewers' intelligence very highly, since many of the lines added did nothing but cover five-second patches of (gasp!) silence by stating information that was obvious to viewers, anyway. It became quite interesting, seeing what parts of the movie the U.S. producers felt needed "improving" by adding meaningless bits of exposition, despite the fact that no character was actually talking.
岩「おやすみ、大きな玉。」
Kincyr

Postby cloakster » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:32 pm

sabokappa wrote:...the only good thing from disney was lilo and stitch!... ^w^

YOU SAID IT SISTER!! ...CLiCK and SCROLL!

"Ni~ya aime vraiment Stitch "
cloakster
Oh god the pants, THEY BURN

Postby JayRandom » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 am

Ooooh, Summer Wars looks fantastic. Quite the all-star production team, too. And it's been out for two weeks now! What's the sub community doing! XD (Oh, yeah, right, it's a movie. No camcordered versions, please.)

Also, I don't have the DVD to confirm it, but may Peter Payne have had the closed captions for the English track on, as opposed to the Japanese track's subtitles? And Disney is hardly alone in not doing literal translations for English versions.

You've never seen any Miyazaki movies, Colleen? At the very least, we've shown several at Otaku. Did you miss them all? And I guess it has been a while since the last one.
-- Jon
JayRandom

Postby sabokappa » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:38 am

Kincyr wrote:speaking of Kiki's Delivery Service, Peter Payne mentioned in J-List's latest newsletter that the English subtitles provided by Disney weren't entirely accurate
Peter Payne wrote:.....since many of the lines added did nothing but cover five-second patches of (gasp!) silence by stating information that was obvious to viewers, anyway. It became quite interesting, seeing what parts of the movie the U.S. producers felt needed "improving" by adding meaningless bits of exposition, despite the fact that no character was actually talking.
That quote is very true! it's kinda like the fact most restaurants need to put cheese on everything so people will buy it (not really similar i guess but i attempted to make an analogy)

It's funny how this kinda turned into a "bash disney" thread.. ^^;;;;

Yeah, like Jon, said, i think alot of times, people/ companies etc.. etc.. tend to transliterate Japanese not just translate, to make it sound more poetic or "english" (as in dealing with japanese references/ humor/ culture that doesn't translate).. i know this is the case with lyrics (trust me lol) i'm usually indifferent with transliterating vs. translating, but i do appreciate people who really try to be as literal and true with the original Japanese when they do lyrics, so they try to maintain the original meaning the composer intended instead of people adding their "own" take on stuff, you know??

Finally, yeah Jon.. i haven't seen any of Miyazaki's movies.. ^^;;; heh heh... I know there was a miyazaki night, but i don't think i went... yup yup..
it's amusing, i go to otaku, but i'm so completely out-of-the-loop with anime etc...as i don't care enough to find it/ get it.. where as i will with music..
「何 出来る かな? 何 出来る かな?」
sabokappa
some sort of scary god

Postby Kincyr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 pm

JayRandom wrote:I don't have the DVD to confirm it, but may Peter Payne have had the closed captions for the English track on, as opposed to the Japanese track's subtitles? And Disney is hardly alone in not doing literal translations for English versions.

that could be possible, as I know Gate Keepers has two seperate English subtitle tracks for either language, largely due to the nicknames for two characters being changed (Megane -> Specs, as 'Glasses' makes for a terrible nickname in English, and Bancho -> Big Boss, as he's literally a gang boss when introduced, and even after joining the Gate Keepers, everyone still calls him by his nickname)

the only way to get the wrong sub track is to choose it manually via. remote during playback
岩「おやすみ、大きな玉。」
Kincyr

Postby JayRandom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Kincyr wrote:the only way to get the wrong sub track is to choose it manually via. remote during playback

That's what I was wondering about. Not easy to do, but subtle and hard to realize if it's happened. BUT! It's just a theory. I'd want to actually watch the video before I make any judgments. I admit, his comments have me curious. Which may have the effect of making me buy the DVD.

...Clearly he's a shill for Disney!

Just kidding. >_>;;;

Aaaaa~nyway, the movie itself was a lot of fun. Very cute, de~su. Ponyo is pretty adorable. Sosuke... has a lot of integrity, and is polite, but still sorta manages to do his own thing, and he's... hmm, dedicated? A good man, an everyman, but not entirely a memorable character, alone. Souske's mom is /insane/, in the best way possible. She's... what's a good word. She's /intelligent/ when she takes risks, but holy cow does she take them. o_o And it's awesome how she plays along with Sosuke and Ponyo, despite the fact that the movie is set in a pretty normal world, and yet a fish-girl has, y'know, just started talking.
-- Jon
JayRandom

Postby sabokappa » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:44 am

OH! Me and Kelly just saw the movie yesterday...

Yeah, I havta say, it was pretty adorable! *^^*

The art (not "art" art if ya know what i mean lol) was AMAZING! It was just a feast for your eyes!! I swear...

JayRandom wrote: Souske's mom is /insane/, in the best way possible. She's... what's a good word. She's /intelligent/ when she takes risks, but holy cow does she take them. o_o
Definitely agreed Jon... O__o She drives like my mom... ><

The dubbing actually wasn't horrible, except for some reason Sousuke seemed to keep being called "Sasuke" at the beginning of the movie, it sorta drove me crazy. But then, they started calling him "Sousuke".. so it was fine... And throughout, Ponyo was called "Pahn-yo".. but i'm not gonna get that nit-picky ^^;; heh heh

It was a simple movie, not that deep of a plot or anything, but it was still throughly enjoyable.. it was just a good movie to watch.. I hate to sound cliched (alas i do alot) but it was.. (dare i say?) heartwarming.. yup yup

So.... I should actually make an effort to see Miyazaki's other movies! And... as I've come to think from other people conversing about it, his other movies have more of a plot or something, so that'd be good too!

.....Now.. I getta write a review for it and hope to not sound all lame and cliched.. ^^;;;
「何 出来る かな? 何 出来る かな?」
sabokappa
some sort of scary god

Return to Event Planning